Friday, January 2, 2009

A new feature...

I don't like going so long without posting, and I do have TONS to blog about, but i don't want to give too much away! :) But I am going to start featuring some things other than photography to blog about. Those who know me well know that my other passions aside from Photography is Music and Art. I love alot of different kinds of music, and I love listening to new music along with old. What I will write on here is some facts mixed with my opinion.
Music can become a heated subject between me and my husband, as we are both very passionate about it, but it is also a pretty big reason why we love each other so much, because it is always fun to just debate and still be able to laugh about things :) I will also be picking what I talk about each week out of a mixture of art and music (so it won't JUST be music..) out of a jar. So I won't even know what I am writing about until that day. How fun :)
Today I am featuring a band that is so iconic, The Who.
There is so much I could write about and so I just decided that it would be better for me to pick one of my favorite songs from The Who and talk about it, some facts, some nostalgia, and finally a You Tube video of the song. Here goes!

"Baba O'Reilly" by The Who

The title to this song is often mistken for "Teenage Wasteland", as no where in the songs lyrics does it say "Baba O'Reilly" at all. I first heard this song when I was a teenager, can't really remember where or when, but I instantly fell in love with not only the lyrics, but the wierd trippy beat in the beginning of the song. I have learned that this song is one of the first songs that a synthesizer was used to form the beat of a song. To reproduce this sound live in concert was near impossible, so they used a recording of this to play Baba O'Reilly live.
The song may sound familiar, because it is chopped up and edited together to create the theme song for "CSI: New York". This fact I am quite sad about, but I guess they probably cash in everytime they play it.

I would never have had the honor of seeing all the original members of The Who play live, as Keith Moon (Drummer) died in 1978 as age 32 of an overdose. And in 2002, John Entwistle (Bassist) died of a heart attack. The two surviving members of the band, Roger Daltrey (vocals) and Pete Townshend (guitar) are alive and kicking and still making music. If you'd like to check out more on The Who, go here.

The Who performing "Baba O'Reilly"

No comments: