Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Danika

This is personal post, and I am asking for your help.

I have a friend named Deb Gottschalk. I met her when I was fresh out of college and working for the local newspaper as a Graphic Designer. I recall one of my very first days there that Deb seemed to be one of those people who would probably give you a great big hug if you needed one. She is kind, and funny and could put a smile on your face in 10 seconds flat. She is one of those people you want to be friends with because you know that she would be there for you no matter what.

I left that job and we lost touch for a few years. The joy of Facebook reunited us, and at a great time too, because I was to find out that my dad had cancer soon and would need a friend like Deb. Deb would be an alli in this war of cancer I was going through with my father. Deb's situation with her own father was similar,and she helped me understand what was going on and helped me through some of the hardest things I ever had to face and prepared me for the things I would soon fear. I treasure the honesty she gave me at that time. I could never repay that.

Today, I need to try to pay on a bit of that debt, though it will never be reapid, I still feel the need to lift her up as she goes through a very dark time. You see, Deb is a proud Grandma. She bathes her Grandkids in love, and she will talk about them with joy in her words. She is the Grandma who you want to have. You know, she spoils her grandkids rotten. But soon she will face losing one of her beloved Grandbabies. I cannot imagine the pain she is going through, or her daughter's pain of losing a child. It is not something I ever want to think about. But this is real to them.



Please donate to Danika's benefit on May 12. Please share this video on your own blog, facebook, or in an email. Please raise awareness for SMA, so that other children like Danika may have a new chance. If you are a business, offer up a gift certificate or some kind of service to help this family. Please count your blessings and realize that even though you may not be going through this kind of pain personally, someone like Deb and her family are. Please give for Danika.

No comments: